Monday, September 09, 2013

HOW I SOLD MY FIRST BOOK

Vicki Boykis (Woman. Legend. Blog - it says so right at the top of her page) interviews me and asks the following question:

Vicki: How did you get into writing romance?

Alina: Alas, I must confess that I was one of those girls who, while other middle-schoolers were reading “Sweet Valley High” and Judy Blume in the children’s room at the library, went straight for the Sidney Sheldon, Judith Krantz, Belva Plain et. al… in the adult section  (I also did my homework on the floor while watching soap operas; shhh, don’t tell my parents).

I knew that when I grew up, I wanted to write big, sprawling novels about rich people behaving badly while dressing very well and jetting off to exotic locations.  This is because I grew up in the 80s. Unfortunately, because I actually started trying to get published in the 90s, I was informed that those stories were “out” by an editor (a mystery I still can’t answer is: Where did all those readers of 80s trash go?  Was there a tragic accident I’m not aware of?).

So my big, sprawling, 80s style novels kept getting rejected. Until I received a call from an editor who told me she’d read a book I sent in (those were the days when it was still possible to be picked out of the slush – unagented – file), and she didn’t like it.  (Wasn’t it nice of her to call and tell me that?) But, she liked my writing style and was wondering if I wanted to try my hand at writing a Regency romance.

“Of course!” I said.  Then hung up the phone and asked the air, “What in the world is a Regency romance?”

I went to my favorite place – the adult section of the pubic library – checked out a stack of Regency novels, reading enough to learn that Regency romances are romances that take place in England during the Regency period.

Got it.

I wrote three chapters and an outline of a Regency and sent it off.  The editor called again, this time to say she loved it and wanted to see the entire manuscript on her desk by the end of the week.  I said, “It’s… not… polished, yet.”  Because it beat the truth, which was that it wasn’t written yet.  Nevertheless, I wrote it, sent it in, and it was accepted and published as “The Fictitious Marquis.”  I even managed to sneak some Jews into it.  Yes, into Regency England!

Read the entire interview, including how I feel Obamacare will impact ER Romance and whether or not men who are tidy is a fiction invented by romance novel writers at: http://blog.vickiboykis.com/2013/09/russian-jewish-romance/

No comments: